Lehigh University is a private, independent research institution of higher learning residing in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. Its main campus is on 2,358 acres and it offers a rigorous academic environment and it houses four colleges: College of Arts and Sciences, College of Business and Economics, College of Education, and P.C. Rossin College of Engineering and Applied Science. The College of Arts and Sciences is the largest college of the university, comprising about 32 percent of the students. Its mission is to progress learning through the combination of teaching, research, and service.
The development of leaders is the main objective of the university and the instructors strive to create engaging relationships with students. The university is deeply involved in establishing partnerships with members of the community to meet society needs. The university believes all graduates must develop effective communication abilities and critical thinking skills. The university is also committed to excellence and faculty emphasize the incorporation of the academic disciplines, blending theoretic principles with practical and humanistic concepts with the technological in a contemporary liberal learning environment. Lehigh University strives to gain international distinction as an institution of special prominence.
The average class size is 29 students and the faculty to student ratio is nine to one. Student life at the university integrates academics with a variety of organizations and activities, leadership development, and community service opportunities. Approximately 96 percent of students participate in extracurricular activities. Lehigh University was founded in 1865 by Asa Packer and he named it after the railroad, which was his other passion. It was established to provide a well-rounded education for young men. It was affiliated with the Episcopal Church. From 1871 to 1891, the endowment from Packer enabled the school to offer classes free of charge by competitive examination. It dropped its church affiliation in 1897 to qualify for state and federal assistance. Throughout the late 1800s and early 1900s, the school continued to expand and in 1918, the university divided into three colleges.
The university started to admit women in the 1940s and the first female professor was named in 1970. The university officially became co-educational in 1971. Online distance education was established in 1992. Currently, Lehigh University is home to about 7,000 students and 521 full-time professors. It offers more than 100 programs and 2,300 courses in the arts and humanities, business, education, engineering, and the natural and social sciences. Programs are available at the Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Arts, Master of Arts, Master of Science, Master of Business Administration, Master of Engineering, Master of Education, and Doctor of Philosophy.
Lehigh University Accreditation Details
Lehigh University is regionally accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. The College of Business and Economics is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business International.
Lehigh University Application Requirements
- Submit the Common Application and Lehigh Questions and Writing Supplement
- Submit official high school transcript
- Submit teacher recommendation
- Pay $70 application fee
- Submit official SAT and/or ACT scores
- Submit official transcripts from all previously attended colleges and universities
- Submit transfer credit summary sheet if applicable
- Submit course descriptions for transfer courses if applicable
Specific colleges have certain application requirements depending on the program. All programs generally require the central application that students can submit online.
Tuition and Financial Aid
The general costs of undergraduate attendance per year include:
- Tuition: $47,920
- Technology fee: $400
- Housing: $7,320
- Meal Plan: $5,370
- Books and personal expenses: $2,065
Graduate tuition rates vary by school of education:
- College of Education: $565 per credit hour
- College of Business and Economics: $1,075 per credit hour
- College of Arts and Science: $1,420 per credit hour
- College of Engineering and Applied Science: $1,420 per credit hour
Distance Education Rates
- College of Engineering: $1,420 per credit hour
- College of Arts and Science: $925 per credit hour
- College of Business and Economics: $1,075 per credit hour
- Healthcare Systems Engineering: $1,420 per credit hour
- Management Science and Engineering: $1,420 per credit hour
- MBA and Engineering: $1,420 per credit hour
- MBA/Educational Leadership: $825 per credit hour
- MBA Plus: $1,075 per credit fee
- MS/Analytical Finance: $1,420 per credit hour
- MS Accounting and Information Analysis: $1,235 per credit hour
- Masters of Science in Management (9 month program): $46,350
- Accelerated MBA: $63,000
- Research rates: $710 per credit hour
Lehigh University is committed to meeting 100% of financial need for all students. It participates in grants, scholarships, loans, and work-study programs.
- Federal Pell Grant
- Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant
- Lehigh Grants
- State Grants
- Alice P. Gast STEM Scholarship
- Dean’s Scholars
- Founders and Trustees’ Scholarships
- President’s Scholars
- Cutler-Sametz Choral Arts Scholarships
- Synder Family Marching Scholarships
- Performing Arts Scholarships
- Lehigh University Merit Scholarship
- Federal Direct Loans
- Federal Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)
- Lehigh University Tuition Loans
- Private Loans
Lehigh University participates in the Federal Work-Study program that enables students to work to earn money for educational expenses.
Online Degrees Available
Lehigh University offers a Flex MBA that is designed for working professionals seeking to take courses part-time. The program prides itself on its high level of flexibility and success rates. Graduates of the program are prepared to enter leadership roles in a highly competitive business world. They will possess global awareness and have a consciousness of changing economics. The guiding principles of the program include structured/non-structured decision maker, leadership, ethical and social responsibility, extensive and comprehensive thinking/communication, and inclusive understanding of domestic and international business.
Related Resource: 15 Best Affordable Online Master’s in Finance
The curriculum is rigorous and features various experiences both inside and outside the classroom to ensure students receive a well-rounded education. Classes include a variety of activities, including in-class teams that directly resemble corporate teams, high-level class discussions, analysis of case studies, computer simulation competition, and industry projects. The program requires the completion of a total of 36 credits, including 21 credits of core courses and 15 credits of electives. Students must also take a capstone course that draws upon the knowledge and skills attained during the program. The core courses include introduction to the organization and its environment, financial reporting for managers and investors, basic statistics for business and industry, principles of economics, managing financial and physical resources, managing information, managing people, and managing products and services. The Online MBA at Lehigh University is an ideal choice for working professionals looking for a flexible program.
Pursuing an Organizational Psychology Master’s OnlineLaboring on an online master’s in organizational psychology degree can open doors for people persons to apply an understanding of…
Dig into history with one of Grad School Hub‘s 10 Best Master’s Degrees in Archaeology. The following degrees prepare graduates to excavate and examine the…
Students who are ready to earn their Master’s in Psychology can use Grad School Hub‘s 5 Best Online Masters’ in Child and Adolescent Psychology to decide…