Baker College’s educational roots began in 1911 when future Michigan state senator and governor Woodbridge Ferris founded Muskegon College. Those roots were later entwined with Baker Business University to expand educational opportunities across the state so diverse learners could develop meaningful careers. Since then, Baker College has become the state’s largest, non-profit, independent college to prepare graduates with 21st-century training, skills and knowledge at baccalaureate and graduate levels. With more than 150 programs, Baker students can earn relevant degrees in fields such as such as business administration, education, healthcare, human services, legal studies and public safety. Baker College offers affordable, flexible programs of instruction that include day or evening classes at multiple in-state locations or online formats to accommodate adult learning needs. Baker garners recognition from Military Advanced Education as a Top Military-Friendly College. It has also earned a Best for Vets top-20 ranking from Military Times and gold-level status from the Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency for its veteran-friendly programs.
Baker College: Accreditation Details
To keep its academics rigorous and in keeping with industry standards, Baker participates in the Academic Quality Improvement Program to maintain its regional accreditation by the Higher Learning Commission. This accreditation allows Baker to confer certificates as well as associate, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees. Baker holds specific program accreditation from these professional organizations among others:
- International Assembly for Collegiate Business Education
- Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education
- American Culinary Federation Education Foundation Accrediting Commission
- American Physical Therapy Association
- Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs
- Commission on Opticianry Accreditation
- Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation
- Engineering Technology Accreditation Commission of the Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technology
- Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology
- National Automotive Technicians Education Foundation
- National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission
Baker’s regional accreditation pertains to all degree types including those earned in online formats. Prospective students should check to see which campuses and formats offer specific accredited programs.
Baker College: Application Requirements
Baker has an open admissions policy based on the “right to try” philosophy that allows students to take courses for traditional on-campus degrees even if they do not have a high school diploma or its equivalency. This policy does require that such students take placement tests to assess their college-readiness skills. In most cases, students entering traditional undergraduate programs and all online degree-seeking students should provide the following:
- Official transcripts for high school diploma, GED-equivalency or home-based programs if a first-time student
- Official transcripts from any college or university programs attended for credit consideration towards degree completion
- Remittance of a non-refundable $20 application fee
For those interested in graduate or post-graduate work, requirements vary according to the program. The following may be requested:
- Official college transcripts for undergraduate or graduate degrees earned
- Verified GMAT or GRE scores
- Career resume with professional work experience
- Professional references
- Written declaration of motivation for study in program of choice
- A non-refundable $25 application remittance
In addition to this, international students must provide proof of English proficiency through submission of TOEFL scores along with a certified English translation of their educational transcripts. Likewise, military personnel or veterans may be asked to supply documentation of their current or past service.
Baker College: Tuition and Financial Aid
Baker categorizes general tuition rates accordingly:
- $240 to $340 per credit for undergraduate courses,
- $165 per credit for military personnel in undergraduate courses,
- $435 per credit for master’s classes,
- $245 per credit for military personnel in master’s classes,
- $590 for each doctoral credit.
Additional fees can be levied for paperwork processing, fingerprint and background checks, or immunizations if applicable. Financial aid opportunities are available to qualifying students through a variety of programs:
- Federal Student Aid, known as FAFSA
- Federal Pell Grants
- Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant
- Federal PLUS Parent or Graduate Loans
- Federal Direct Loan Program
- Federal Stafford or Perkins Loans
- Federal Work Study Program
- GI Bill Education Benefits Program
- Military Tuition Assistance (active duty personnel)
- Veterans Affairs Benefits Program
- IRAQ and Afghanistan Service Grant
- Multiple local, state and business grants
- Baker College Grant
- Baker College Returning Student Merit Award
- Jewell Educational Fund
- Out-of-State Grant
- Michigan Children of Veterans Tuition Grant
- Michigan Army and Air National Guard Grant
- Michigan Gaining Early Awareness & Readiness for Undergraduate Programs (GEAR UP)
- Michigan Tuition Grant
- Michigan Tuition Incentive Program
Candidates in graduate and post-graduate programs should also seek information about employee-sponsored programs that provide tuition assistance.
The Online Doctorate of Business Administration from Baker College
Some of the most sought after programs at Baker offer advanced studies through flexible schedules to accommodate professional and personal obligations. Advanced degree programs like these are most often presented in online formats. For business professionals desiring to work in upper administration or executive positions, earning a doctorate in such a manner can assist them in pursuing their goals. Baker’s online Doctorate of Business Administration offers this opportunity for those who have successfully worked in a business or management career for at least five years. This DBA sets high standards for best practices that help solve critical management and business problems. Advanced instruction in business knowledge and leadership trains candidates how to use research, innovative training methods and trending consulting techniques to lead colleagues and achieve 21st-century business goals.
The DBA encompasses 90 quarter-credits over a three-year period of study. Curricular studies combine interdisciplinary content with research seminars that seek to infuse scholarly pursuits with hands-on professional development activities. Candidates create two portfolios to document their scholastic and professional endeavors while moving from supervised to independent learning status culminating in a research-based dissertation about a real problem encountered by modern business leaders. Candidates are also able to specialize their degree to fit their personal career ambitions. Core content covers these study strands:
- Information proficiency
- Leading 21st-century organizations
- Global contexts for management
- Advanced management and information systems
- Organizational change and quality improvement
- Personal and corporate ethics
- Statistics for executives
- Research design
- Dissertation development through research
Baker’s DBA program remains true to the school’s mission to make quality higher education available to aspiring professionals and enable them to go on to successful, challenging careers. If earning an advanced degree that can be specialized to suit career aspirations sounds appealing, then the Baker College Doctorate of Business Administration may be worth serious consideration.
Advancing your education may be a big goal or something you see as necessary for growing in your career. But what is a master’s degree and what are the master’s...
Seniors were greatly affected during the COVID-19 pandemic. They were the age range of hospitalization and death, and senior living communities and healthcare workers had to take extreme measures to...
Nurses have always been in demand, but this is a great time to enter the field if you’re considering a career as a nurse. The nursing profession is currently set...