California Southern University was established in California in 1978 as the Southern California University for Professional Studies. At the time, it was a traditional correspondence school and quickly established itself as a pioneer in distance learning. During the 1990s, the university responded to the need for distance learning in fields that included business, psychology and law. As technology advanced, the university began incorporating those technologies into the courses.
In 2006, the school transitioned from a correspondence school to an online system and the name was changed to California Southern University. Online platforms allowed for quicker response times, accessibility for more students and easy access to an online library.
The mission of California Southern University is to provide high-quality education to adult learners using distance learning. The school offers dynamic programs with the flexibility most adults need due to work, family and social obligations. The university is committed to cultivating an environment of academic integrity while stimulating the curiosity of students.
There are no entrance examinations and courses begin monthly. Students work one-on-one with faculty mentors who remain with them throughout their enrollment. All students are provided free access to Microsoft Office 365 at no additional charge, eliminating the need for students to purchase expensive word processing and spreadsheet software.
California Southern University Accreditation Details
California Southern University is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges Senior College and University Commission. Regional accreditation is the most highly respected and recognized form of accreditation, providing students with a significant number of benefits. It confirms that the academics of the organization are rigorous and of high quality.
California Southern University Application Requirements
Students who wish to attend California Southern University must provide official transcripts from previously attended institutions which may include high school, colleges, universities, military training CLEP or DANTES. Students must submit a personal statement if they are applying to graduate programs and a copy of their certified DD-214 or 5454R Military Evaluation, if applicable. There is an admission fee that must be paid and students for whom English is a second language may be required to submit an English proficiency evaluation.
California Southern University Tuition and Financial Aid
One of the missions of California Southern University is to make tuition affordable. Therefore, tuition rates never increase as long as the student enrolled. The current tuition rate is as follows:
- Bachelor's Degree Programs – $350 per credit hour
- Master's Degree Programs – $425 per credit hour
- Doctor of Business Administration – $450 per credit hour
- Doctor of Psychology – $450 per credit hour
- Juris Doctorate – $350 per credit hour
California Southern University offers four payment options. It does not offer financial aid in the form of federal grants or loans. The options for payment include:
- Pay full program tuition up front and make zero monthly payments. This allows students to graduate debt free.
- The semester-at-a-time payment plan allows students to pay full tuition up front as they progress using manageable course payments so that they may graduate debt free.
- The monthly payment plan allows students to make a small down payment and small monthly payments online, by phone or by mail.
- For students who have the option of third-party tuition payment, CalSouthern accepts GI Bill and other education benefits offered by the Department of Veterans Affairs, as well as MyCAA benefits for spouses. CalSouthern also offers discounted tuition to military service members, military spouses and veterans.
California Southern University Online Degrees Available
Doctor of Business Administration
The Doctor of Business Administration offers students advanced education in order for them to accept senior leadership roles. Students gain business expertise at the highest academic level and distinguish themselves from others in the business world. The program provides practical and highly specialized expertise applied to actual business challenges so students get a real-world feel for problem-solving.
Students learn to use business communication using a variety of methods in order to communicate strategic approaches to business practices. They also gain the skills and knowledge to communicate research findings for evaluation by management. Students develop critical-thinking skills as well as an understanding of differing cultures and societies. Students are able to identify information needed and evaluate materials properly. Students develop quantitative and scientific reasoning as well as an understanding of the legal, ethical and professional issues that face leaders in today's business world.
Courses required to complete the Doctor of Business Administration at California Southern University include:
- Organizational Development and Design
- Leadership, Ethics and Corporate Governance
- Managerial Economics
- Technology Concepts for Managers
- Consumer Behavior Theory and Analysis
- Financial Statement Analysis
- Global Business Strategic Management
- Information, Organization and Strategy
- Advanced Measurement and Statistics for Business
- Management Finance and Control
- Ethnography of Corporate Culture
- Business Research Methods
- Quantitative Research Methods
- Managing, Organizing & Negotiating for Value
- Coordinating and Managing Supply Chains
Admission to the program requires students to have a bachelor's and master's degree from an accredited college or university. If the student has a master's degree in a subject other than business, they may petition the academic committee for admittance.
In order to graduate, students must have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher and must complete 60 semester credits beyond the master's degree. All financial obligations with the university must be satisfied and the student must complete the program in no less than two years and no more than ten years from the date of enrollment. It is recommended that students who wish to enter the Doctor of Business Administration program discuss the requirements with a qualified admissions counselor before enrolling.
California Southern University has been providing students with distance learning since 1978, long before online education was readily available. Through correspondence courses, students were able to achieve their higher education goals in order to move into new careers or advance in a current career. Although the courses are now offered online, they are still as rigorous and challenging as they were almost 40 years ago. Online learning allows students with work, family and social obligations to continue their education with the flexibility they need. California Southern University has been providing this flexibility for decades and still offers one of the lowest tuition rates of any online university.