Eastern Kentucky University
Eastern Kentucky University began in 1906 with legislation enacted by the Kentucky General Assembly. The school was originally known as the Eastern Kentucky State Normal School and the Normal School Commission chose the campus of the old Central University as the location. Initially, the focus of the school was educating teachers and offered two-year teaching degrees.
In 1922, the school was authorized to grant four-year degrees and the name changed to the Eastern Kentucky State Normal School and Teachers College, becoming the Eastern Kentucky State Teachers College in 1930. In 1935, the school added a graduate program and, in 1948, the school became Eastern Kentucky State College. In 1966, it was renamed Eastern Kentucky University.
US News & World Report has ranked the online graduate program in education as one of the best online programs in the country.
Eastern Kentucky University Accreditation Details
Eastern Kentucky University is accredited by the Commission of Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges. Accreditation informs parents, students and employers that graduates of the school have been provided the tools and knowledge to become leaders in their field of study. In addition to regional accreditation, programs throughout the school are accredited by the following industry-specific organizations:
- Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business
- Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing
- Accreditation Council for Cooperative Education
- Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics
- Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education
- American Academy of Forensic Sciences
- American Association of Family & Consumer Sciences
- American Bar Association
- American Chemical Society
- American Council for Construction Education
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
- Association of Technology, Management and Applied Engineering
- Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs – Joint Review Committee on Educational Programs for EMT Paramedic
- Commission on Accreditation of Athletic Training Education
- Commission on Collegiate Interpreter Education
- Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Commission on Health Informatics and Information Management Education
- Computing Accreditation Commission of ABET
- Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparation
- Council for Education for Public Health
- Council on Education of the Deaf
- Council on Social Work Education
- Federal Aviation Administration
- International Association of Counseling Services
- International Fire Service Accreditation Congress
- Kentucky Board of Nursing
- Masters in Psychology and Counseling Accreditation Council
- National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences
- National Association of Schools of Music
- National Association of School Psychologists
- National Environmental Health Science and Protection Accreditation Council
- National Recreation and Park Administration
- Network of Schools of Public Policy, Affairs and Administration
- Professional Golfers Association of America
- Public Relations Society of America
Eastern Kentucky University Application Requirements
Students who have earned less than 23 college credit hours after high school graduation are considered freshmen at Easter Kentucky University. Students must complete an online application and provide official high school transcripts. Students who have earned college credit after high school graduation must submit official college transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. Students must also provide official ACT or SAT scores.
Students who have earned more than 23 credits after high school graduation may be admitted as transfer students. They must complete an online application and provide official transcripts from all colleges and universities attended. Students must have a cumulative 2.0 GPA in all previous college work.
Graduate students must complete an online application and submit official transcripts from all colleges or universities attended. One transcript must display the conferring of a bachelor’s degree or higher from an accredited college or university. Students must provide official GRE, MAT or GMAT scores. Some programs also require letters of recommendation as part of the admission process.
Eastern Kentucky University Tuition and Financial Aid
Undergraduate tuition for Kentucky residents is $650 per credit hour and $825 for non-residents. Online undergraduate tuition is $409 per credit hour except for the RN to BSN program which is $460 per credit hour. Master’s degree programs are as follows:
- College of Justice and Safety, College of Sciences, College of Letters, Arts and Social Sciences and College of Business and Technology – $611 per credit hour
- College of Education – $510 per credit hour
- College of Health Sciences – $662 per credit hour
Doctorate level tuition is $675 per credit hour.
Financial aid is available in the form of scholarships, grants, loans and work-study programs. Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) in order to qualify for any assistance.
Eastern Kentucky University Online Degree Program(s) Available
Master of Arts in Instructional Leadership and Policy Studies
The Master of Arts in Instructional Leadership and Policy Studies at Eastern Kentucky University prepares educators for leadership roles in the field of education. It is a 30 credit program that helps teachers improve not only their leadership skills but also their classroom skills. It is 100 percent online and is open to anyone who holds a teacher certification. Teachers who are certified outside of Kentucky should contact the graduate admissions office to determine whether the program meets their state’s criteria. There are no campus visits required for the program. The program challenges teachers to view themselves as powerful, effective change agents. Students are also able to strengthen their current certification area or add additional endorsements in other areas. Students gain an understanding of tools used in the leadership of educational organizations as well as how to guide students, faculty and staff to enhance learning.
Students must submit three letters of recommendation, a resume as well as a statement of personal and professional objectives when they apply to the program.
Eastern Kentucky University offers many online programs, including a graduate degree in instructional leadership and policy studies, that provide the flexibility working adults need to achieve their higher education goals. Through online programs offered by Eastern Kentucky University, working adults are able to move into a new career or advance in a current career through higher education.
Laboring on an online master's in organizational psychology degree can open doors for people persons to apply an understanding of employee behavior to enhance workplace quality. Industrial-organizational psychology integrates brain...
The field of archaeology uncovers the artifacts and materials that speak volumes about the human species and the societies we build. Studying these materials deepens human understanding of our cultural...
Child and Adolescent Psychology examines the thoughts, feelings, and behaviors of children and adolescents. Master's degree programs in Child and Adolescent Psychology can equip students with significant insight into both the...