Located in the diverse, Texan city of Beaumont, Lamar University creates a unique niche for learners seeking higher education degrees. The university prides itself on being a nurturing environment for first-time students as well as a highly regarded institution for professional programs to advance careers in diverse occupational fields such as health care, hearing sciences, engineering, business and educational leadership. Lamar’s beginnings date back to 1923 as a junior college before becoming a four-year technical institution in 1951 and a full university twenty years later. Since then, Lamar has earned national recognition as a Carnegie Doctoral Research University. Lamar students can expect cutting-edge academic programs that emphasize experiential learning and provide opportunities for networking within global markets. The university’s enrollment has risen by 78 percent over the past 10 years attracting prospective students who appreciate personalized programs that can be obtained through traditional or distance learning formats. For professionals, these choices mean they can pursue master’s or doctoral degrees while working around job responsibilities. With regard to its online degree programs, Lamar finds its way into U.S. News & World Report’s rankings at No. 47 and No. 35 respectively for best online bachelor’s and graduate education programs. Lamar is also ranked at No. 167 among schools in the South according to Forbes.
Lamar University: Accreditation Details
The Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools accredits Lamar University to award associate, bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral degrees. Lamar additionally holds program accreditation by well-known professional organizations for following professional standards with regard to curricular instruction. Examples of specific accrediting organizations for Lamar programs include the Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technology, the National Council for Accreditation of Teachers Education, the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business, the Texas Education Agency and the Texas State Board of Educator Certification.
Lamar University: Application Requirement
Prospective students are classified according to their status as first-time learners, returning or transfer students, graduates or post-graduates, international applicants or online degree seekers. Entrance requirements include:
- Appropriate online application for the degree level and program,
- Relevant standardized test scores from the ACT, SAT, GMAT or GRE,
- Verified high school or GED certification for new entrants,
- Official college transcripts for returning or transfer students,
- Written essay or professional goal statement,
- Resume of work history for graduate or post-graduate candidates.
Additional application requirements may be requested by certain programs, especially at the master’s or doctoral levels. Applicants should speak with program advisers or check program websites for specific admittance requirements, which could include such things as remittance fees, proof of English proficiency for international students, letters of recommendation or other particular endorsements. Applicants should also be aware to submit all information by deadline due dates.
Lamar University: Tuition and Financial Aid
Assessment of tuition and fees is based on residency status, degree level and program. In general, the following fee structure applies:
- $218 per semester hour for residential undergraduates
- $580 per semester hour for non-resident undergraduates
- $318 per semester hour for residential graduate or post-graduate students
- $680 per semester hour for non-residential graduate or post-graduate students
Additional assessments can include those for university services, textbooks, program materials, and use of technology infrastructure. Students can apply for financial aid assistance for all degree programs. Academic advisers can also assist applicants with determining eligibility for these tuition assistance options:
- Federal Work Study Programs
- Federal Student Aid Program, called FAFSA
- Federal TEACH or Pell Grants
- Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant
- Federal Perkins or Stafford loans
- Federal PLUS Graduate or Parent loans
- Federal Iraq & Afghanistan Service Grant
- Military and Veterans Benefits Program
- College for All Texans Program
- Texas State Grants
- Lamar University Promise Program
- Lamar Jobs on Campus Program
- Lamar University Scholarships (over 2,000 awarded each academic year)
- Tuition Exemptions or Waivers
- Private Loan Programs
- Corporate Assistance Programs
Online Degree Programs at Lamar University
Lamar University infuses its online programs with the same rigor as its traditional on-campus counterparts. While all levels of degrees are offered through distance learning formats, the university fills a particular need for doctoral candidates seeking professional degrees while working in fields such as education. In these cases, Lamar’s 100 percent online studies provide career professionals avenues for further educational pursuits that can lead to administrative and financial advancements in their jobs.
One of the most sought after post-graduate degree programs, the Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership, attracts teaching professionals with goals to move into leadership, administrative and research positions. The 60-hour curriculum can be fully completed in eight semesters. Candidates are grouped into cohorts with fellow doctoral students who enter the program at the same time. The cohort structure parallels a classroom experience in an online setting. Cohorts act as a class unit, completing seminars, training, and activities together through audio-video podcasts, live-streaming lectures and interactive video presentations. Candidates within cohorts can also be partnered for projects or teamed up for group work.
The intensive curriculum for this doctorate delves into hot-topic cultural and educational issues affecting students, their families, teachers, and administrators in modern school settings. It proposes models of instructional theory designed to incorporate best teaching practices, cutting-edge curricular development, and administrative policy-making into educational programs that benefit all students in multiple learning environments. Advanced coursework covers 21 credits of foundational courses, 15 hours in concentration electives to personalize the degree, 12 hours in research core concepts, and 12 hours of dissertation studies. Candidates encounter the following topics among others:
- Practical applications of 21st-century teaching and learning theories
- Professional values and ethics
- Organizational change and leadership dynamics
- Cultural influences and program practices
- Staff development and program outcomes
- Effective supervisory practices
- Educational law, politics and administrative policies
- Contemporary issues in education
- Effects of diversity and multiculturalism on learning
- Applied research and analysis using qualitative and quantitative design
Outcomes of this program prepare candidates to become transformative leaders who use their advanced knowledge of learning and development to administrate school programs, develop and implement public school policy in response to the learning needs of the community, and make visionary, instructional ideas a reality in the classroom. For professionals who are interested in becoming such an educational leader, earning a Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership from Lamar University can start them on a path to career success.
Advancing your education may be a big goal or something you see as necessary for growing in your career. But what is a master’s degree and what are the master’s...
Seniors were greatly affected during the COVID-19 pandemic. They were the age range of hospitalization and death, and senior living communities and healthcare workers had to take extreme measures to...
Nurses have always been in demand, but this is a great time to enter the field if you’re considering a career as a nurse. The nursing profession is currently set...