What is a Master’s in Biostatistics?
The algorithms used to analyze scientific evidence are constantly improving and becoming increasingly complex, and a Master’s in Biostatistics will help students prepare for a career in the biology sciences field studying various organisms. Biostatistics majors learn how to record pertinent information from a small sample size of organisms and, using that information, make valid inferences about the actual population from where they came.
What Classes Are Required To Complete a Maser’s in Biostatistics?
A Master’s in Biostatistics will help teach students the following basic real-world job duties:
- Write a conclusion and make interferences about data and effectively communicate the inferences with peers and colleagues.
- Create programs in two statistical packages.
- Design basic research studies based on my discovery earlier.
- Uses analysis to answer questions about results and probability of an outcome.
At the master degree level, students will likely be required to take classes that complement their already extensive knowledge of biology and the sciences. Some basic required coursework might include Statistical Programming, the Basics of Applied Biostatistics, and Statistics for Learning and Discovery.
Once coursework has been completed, candidates for a Master’s in Biostatistics might be required to complete a special biology research and analysis project and take a comprehensive exam.
Careers Available for Biostatisticians
According to the American Statistical Association, recently graduated biostatisticians can expect to find jobs in a variety of medical, biological and agricultural fields. Because the main purpose of a biostatistician is to design biological experiments and collect, record and analyze any data relevant data from those experiments, major corporations, government organizations, non profit institutes and medical centers utilize them as part of a larger research team.
The biostatistics field is highly specialized and therefore highly in-demand. On average, a biostatistician in the United States can expect to make anywhere from $72,000 to $90,000 per year, depending on location and type of employer, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
Requirements To Enter a Biostatistics Master’s Program
There are many biostatistic programs across the United States. Universities normally use a variety of information to determine whether or not to admit a student into their Master’s in Biostatistics Program:
- Type of Undergraduate Degree – The biostatistics master’s program is extremely difficult. Most colleges require candidates to have completed a bachelor’s degree in statistics, mathematics, biology or in another science field.
- Final Grades at Graduation – If the master’s program at a particular school is especially competitive, students will only be considered for admission if they maintained superior grades while completing their bachelor’s degree.
- Written Essay and Entrance Exam – To add another layer of competition, many top universities will require that students complete both a written examination that shows they have basic knowledge of the field, and a written essay that explains why they want to enter the field biostatistics.
Related Resource: Master’s in Technology Management
Because of the important work they perform, biostatisticians have make large impact on how normal people live everyday. From statistics on a variety of health issues to whether or not a certain chemical or food is safe to digest, obtaining a Master’s in Biostatistics will lead you to a rewarding career serving your fellow citizens with numbers, analysis and hard, unreputable facts.
Advancing your education may be a big goal or something you see as necessary for growing in your career. But what is a master’s degree and what are the master’s...
Seniors were greatly affected during the COVID-19 pandemic. They were the age range of hospitalization and death, and senior living communities and healthcare workers had to take extreme measures to...
Nurses have always been in demand, but this is a great time to enter the field if you’re considering a career as a nurse. The nursing profession is currently set...